Scriptures to Ponder

Do not let this book of the law depart from your mouth meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, so that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward apprearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:11

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

$$$$$

“The LOVE of money is the root of all evil”. Boy isn’t that the truth. Have you ever messed with anyone and their money? I think a lot of people put more value on money than they want to admit. I would say that some people “love” money without consciously seeing it that way.

I have never been cussed out more in my life than when it comes to people and their money. Being the branch manager at a bank, I met all kinds of irrational people. If they believe that you have “messed with” their money or “ripped them off” they turn all kinds of ugly. Many times did I get cussed out & called the beloved “b” word. There is no reasoning or talking to people in that frame of mind. I would have to calmly tell them that I was going to hang up on them or ask them to leave before I called the police. That was at work, in my personal life when money becomes an issue for irrational thinking, I’m not as nice. Some people’s true colors emerge when money or lack of money becomes an issue. I have little tolerance for that behavior. Especially when they think it is everybody else’s problem that they don’t have any money and/or they want to take it out on everybody else. I just try not to put that much emphasis on money, you can lose it just as quickly as to found it.

I will admit that it is highly valued & needed, but is it really? Of course it is, we live in a money bartering system. I have definitely enjoyed many things that money has brought into my life, but I don’t get that attached to it & I realize that life goes on without it. But to what degree & importance should money play in our lives? Only the individual can look inward to see what roll they want money to play in their lives and or what sacrifices they are willing to make for the sake of money.

I know that this time of year, people look inward and try to reflect and be thankful for the blessings that they have. Many people are even more generous this time of year than any other time. They realize and DO something about the fact that others are less fortunate. But how much do we do? Our Sunday school class has adopted a family for Christmas. We were asked to donate. I did. I told myself that I was going to donate a good chunk & “sacrifice” for someone else. I was going to deny myself a pair of shoes. But within 2 weeks, I bought my shoes. So, was it really a sacrifice and what kind of sacrifice is denying myself yet ANOTHER pair of shoes? Could I have donated more? How much would I truly sacrifice for someone else? Or did God bless me with the shoe sale & extra money because I did make somewhat of a sacrifice?

2 comments:

Mr. T said...

God blessed you because you were willing to step forth and help someone else out. Blessings come in all large and small packages.

Anonymous said...

The slang dictionary would go with either.

Stat Counter