Scriptures to Ponder

Do not let this book of the law depart from your mouth meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, so that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward apprearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:11

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sopa

I'm not sure if you have ever had my Grandma's Sopa but it is one of my favorite dishes. I am not really sure why except I love corn and this is just a good mixture of pasta, spice, crunch & cheesiness. She has been making if for YEARS & I have only attempted to make it a handful of times. It never seems to turn out as good as hers (except for the time she used cinnamon instead of chili powder that was not a good time). And I have tried all of her techniques.

So, I am going to post the recipe and anyone that would like to try it - go ahead & let me know what you think. Some tips would be that she just slices onions (doesn't chop them) and she adds a small can of tomato sauce to it.

Sopa De Fideo

1/2 lb. Vermicelli, broken in small pieces
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
2 cloves garlic
2 c. onion, chopped
2 c. chopped celery
1 1/2 c. chopped green pepper - I usually leave out - which could be the problem but doubt it
1 can whole kernel corn with liquid
3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2/3 tsp. chili powder
1 lg. can tomatoes
1 c. water
Grated cheese for topping (or sliced cheese) - Grandma uses sliced - it's better

Saute Vermicelli (watch carefully-burns easily) with ground beef until brown. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and cook gently for 25 minutes. May need to add water if too dry. Uncover and cook 5 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for posting this recipe. I LOVE grandma's sopa, but I haven't had it or thought about it in years! Yummy, I am so excited to try making it.

Stat Counter